Giving Thanks

While driving along these country roads, I always brake for dudes in loincloths. Look! There's one in the distance!





















Could he be the last Mohican? Perhaps. The Mohican tribe settled along the banks of the Hudson, which they dubbed the Mahicannituck. They called themselves the Muh-he-con-neok, meaning the People of the Waters That Are Never Still. I find that so very lovely. I'm certain they didn't have rifles, that is before the European settlers came barreling in with them. Which is why it made me sad to see that someone had nailed a firearm to his arms. (omg...where are his hands?!) Is this supposed to be a not-so-subtle hint about trespassing?  I wanted to get to know my native friend a bit better, so of course I got a bit closer.

































This really is a fine carving. Nice quads!





















Still, I really hate that he's got a gun. Seriously, I hate that. He's obviously striking a pose of thanks to the Sky Gods of stuffing and sweet potatoes, not looking for a can of cranberries to shoot off a fence. If I were the owner of this magnificently carved man, I would change up what he's holding. Perhaps a custardy fruit trifle, instead of that rifle? What would you have him hold?

While pondering that, I'd like to wish my Friends of the Internet That is Never Still a happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for your visit to my little blog, and I'm immensely grateful that the Catskills continue to be a veritable cornucopia of curiosities!

No comments:

Post a Comment