Ghost Station

One of the charms and a major draw of the Catskills is the unchanged landscape, affording one a sense of place in the world. Up here, you're not passing by an endless stream of sameness with Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bells and 7-11s replicating themselves every 10 miles. Which is why, when I see something like this, I have to stop and pay my respects.

















I almost expected Gomer Pyle to come ambling out to assist me. However, there was nary a Gomer nor Goober in site. Everything seemed frozen in time, including the price of gas.






















The vehicles surrounding the joint also reflected the 30 year time warp...and the awesome, transformative power of oxidation.
































Somebody really likes Scouts. And what groovy little workhorses they were! The International Scout Harvester was introduced as a commercial utility pickup in 1960 as a competitor to the Jeep. It set the stage for future 4-wheel drive recreational vehicles of the 70s, 80s and 90s. But something tells me these vehicles were not used for recreation.














I'm sure that one day this service station will be razed to make way for a modernized facility, but for now let us be thankful for this particular suspension of progress and revel in the cool clean lines of the Mobil font.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...is that Allaben Ray's old station in Allaben near the Shandaken Town Hall? Ray was the best...back in the days of EZ car inspections, he would just approve your vehicle without much of a glance at anything. For a poor girl with a '74 Chevy truck, that man was a godsend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe it is. Wished I had a Ray back in the day!

    ReplyDelete